Published On: Wednesday, 27 September 2017
Harbour Air Wins Tourism Sustainability Award
VICTORIA - Harbour Air was honoured to receive Tourism Vancouver Island’s "Tourism Sustainability Award" at the organization's gala awards event on September 20th.
The award recognizes a tourism business’ efforts and achievements in minimizing its environmental impact, conserving natural resources and benefitting local communities.
Flying BC's coast for 35 years, Harbour Air is proud of its local roots and the the unique west coast experience it offers over 400,000 passengers yearly. Harbour Air recognizes the importance of supporting local communities and has shown a deep committed to reducing its environmental footprint.
Notable Harbour Air sustainability initiatives include:
- Becoming North America’s first fully carbon neutral airline in 2007;
- Celebrating ten years of measuring and offsetting all corporate greenhouse gas emissions, from 2007-2017;
- Reducing paper and emissions from mail delivery by moving all employees to a web-based payroll and invoicing system;
- Implementing a re-usable boarding pass system in 2004, reducing up to 400,000 discarded paper passes each year; and
- Completing construction in 2015 on a new 5,000 square foot floating terminal in Victoria, featuring a one-acre green roof, 50 solar panels and four large beehives to help combat the declining honey bee population in North America.